Just as had been expected, Apple has today taken the wraps off of iOS 12, the iPhone and iPad software that will take us through the end of 2018 and into 2019.
While this had been rumored to be a maintenance release only, there was a surprising number of news to take in when the software was announced and demonstrated live.
If you are an iOS user, then there will likely have been at least something of note during the keynote – something that may not have been expected beforehand based on previous rumors. One of the much requested changes to make its way into iOS 12 relates to CarPlay and specifically, its ability to access third-party maps.
In iOS 11 and previous versions, CarPlay users are restricted to using Apple’s own Maps app when traversing the roadways, but with iOS 12 in tow, they will instead be able to use competing apps such as Google Maps or the hugely popular Waze.
The addition of third-party navigation capabilities to CarPlay 2 is one of many changes to apps that Apple showed off when announcing iOS 12 on-stage. While others such as a restructured notification system and improved Do-Not-Disturb were crowd pleasers, the ability to use something like Waze via CarPlay should not be played down.
While the number of users who own cars with CarPlay support will still be relatively small right now, this is a change that has the potential to have larger ramifications further down the line as more and more people jump onto the CarPlay bandwagon, whether that is via a whole new car or an aftermarket system.
Be sure to check out our continuing WWDC 2018 coverage for more on what Apple announced during that opening keynote.
You may also like to check out:
- 100+ iOS 12 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- Download iOS 12 Beta OTA Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 1 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- iOS 12 Beta 1 Download IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 12 Beta 1 Release Notes, Changes And Known Issues According To Apple
- How To Downgrade iOS 12 Beta To iOS 11.4 [Tutorial]