It was only a matter of time until Apple joined in with the augmented reality revolution. During this year’s Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple took the opportunity to introduce portions of iOS 11, along with the iOS 11 SDK and new ARKit framework used to power augmented reality experiences in apps.
It seems that with the release of iOS 11 beta 2 (and later) Apple is embracing its own framework with the introduction of a new AR-based Flyover mode in the stock iOS 11 Apple Maps app.
Apple has been continuously looking to expand the capabilities and usefulness of its Apple Maps platform ever since it was originally introduced back in iOS 6. That dedication has resulted in multiple new features being added over the course of the last four years, with the latest improvement in iOS 11 beta 2 taking a stunning augmented reality twist. It’s also a perfect opportunity for Apple to lead from the front when it comes to showcasing exactly what can be done with the platform’s new ARKit framework.
The new feature is embedded into the stock Maps app under the Flyover option. When accessed it basically forces the device into a new mode which gives a flyover view of the current or chosen location.
The owner of the device can then use the hardware to move around the environment and explore the local area by panning and tilting the device to take advantage of the built-in sensors that work in conjunction with this new ARKit-based feature.
You can check out this new mode in action in the video embedded below:
WOW There is an VR mode in Apple maps on iOS 11! It seems to use ARKit for positioning! pic.twitter.com/IdXiGoed26
— Stijn (@StijnDV) June 24, 2017
All of these changes are now live in iOS 11 beta 2, making us look forward to the progression of the platform and to see what Apple has in-store for us.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11 Beta 3 Download Release Date Prediction
- iOS 11 Beta 2 Download IPSW Links For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Released
- iOS 11, macOS 10.13, tvOS 11 Public Beta 1 Release Date Set For Later This Month
- How To Downgrade iOS 11 Beta To iOS 10.3.2 / 10.3.3 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11 Beta 2 & Install On iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 10.3.2 / 10.3.1 / 10.3 / 10.2.1 For iPhone And iPad [Latest Status Update]