Just a couple of hours back, iPhone hacker MuscleNerd tweeted to say that he thinks that iPhone Dev Team has found a way to extend current untethered jailbreaking tools to work on all A4-processor based iOS devices.
Think we’ve figured out a way to extend PwnageTool + limera1n + @comex hacks to untethered JBs for all future A4 firmwares 🙂
It was previously thought that once iOS 4.2 is out, Apple will patch the userland exploit bits which are implemented alongside bootrom exploit in Limera1n and GreenPois0n tools. What this meant was that even though Limera1n and GreenPosi0n will be able to pwn all A4 devices (iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch 4G) on future firmwares like iOS 4.2 and beyond, but with tethered-jailbreaks.
But now, it looks like iPhone Dev Team has figured out a way to make it work on PwnageTool, Limera1n and hacker comex’s userland based exploits. If this turns out to be true, it would mean that all future A4-processor based iOS devices (such as the iPad, iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G) will get untethered jailbreaks for life.
For those of you who don’t know, there are two basic kinds of iOS jailbreaks: tethered and untethered. Tethered jailbreaks require users to plug in the jailbroken device to a computer every time they need to restart it. Untethered, on the other hand, does not necessitate such tomfoolery.
In summary: tethered jailbreaks need to die. And so, we really hope what MuscleNerd is saying actually turns out to be true.
You may also like to check out:
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch 3G / 2G, and iPad 3.2.1 with JailbreakMe 2.0
- How to Unlock iOS 4.0.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G [Guide]
- How to Jailbreak (PwnageTool, Redsn0w), Unlock and Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 [Guide]
- How to Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G with Redsn0w, Ultrasn0w, PwnageTool, GreenPois0n, and, SHAtter [Downgrade]
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.2 with PwnageTool, Redsn0w and Sn0wbreeze [Downgrade]