Here is a simple guide to enable MMS functionality natively in the Messages app for the first-gen iPhone (aka iPhone EDGE or 2G) running iPhone firmware 3.1.2. Yes, you can now send and receive MMS messages without having to install a third party app like SwirlyMMS.
Follow the step by step guide below to get full-featured MMS functionality in your first-gen iPhone. You will need to have a jailbroken iPhone running iPhone 3.1.2 firmware to get this working. Follow the instructions posted here to first jailbreak your iPhone (if you haven’t already) before following the steps below:
Step 1: Start “Cydia” on your iPhone.
Step 2: You will need to add iFoneGuide repository in Cydia. To do this:
Touch on “Manage” tab on the bottom.
Now touch on “Sources” as seen in the screenshot below:
- Touch on “Edit” and then on “Add”. You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type “http://cydia.ifoneguide.nl” and touch on “Add Source”.
Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps.
Step 3: Once you have successfully added the iFoneGuide repo, search for “Native MMS iPhone 2G” app in Cydia and install this application. This app will automatically enable the official native MMS functionality in the Messages app on your iPhone 2G.
Step 4: Now simply restart your iPhone. Voila! You should now have a fully working camera button in your Messages app on iPhone 2G just like it is on iPhone 3G and 3GS. Simply set your carrier settings for MMS found in Settings –> General –> Network –> Cellular Data Network and you are good to go!
If you liked this, then you may also like to check out:
- How to: Enable Tethering on iPhone 2G running 3.1.2 Firmware
- How to: Enable Tethering on iPhone 3G/3GS running 3.1.2 Firmware
- How to: Enable iPhone 3GS Voice Control on iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G
- How to: Enable iPhone 3GS Video Editing and Camera Roll in iPhone 3G and 2G
Feel free to ask me any questions here should you run into any problems enabling MMS functionality on your first-gen iPhone.