Some people using the latest M1-powered Macs have noticed that the SSD appears to be writing and reading data more than expected, potentially reducing the overall lifespan of the storage.
As reported by various users on Twitter and forums, macOS notes that the internal SSD in M1 Macs has “extremely high drive writes over relatively short time.”
That could, potentially, see the parts fail sooner than expected. One user notes that their machine has already gone through 13% of the total maximum warrantable total bytes written (TBW).
Some more professional users of the new M1 Macbooks are experiencing extremely high drive writes over relatively short time. The most severe cases have “consumed” about 10-13% of the maximum warrantable TBW value of the SSDs (given their capacity & using values for equivalent market-available NVMe drives).
It’s also important to note that the SSD can’t be swapped out of Apple’s latest M1 Macs, potentially leaving people with a problem if they do start to fail.
2TB 16GB model. 3% used.
That means that for a 256GB model, proportionally, you'd expect ~30% usage.
If this is accurate, some of these machines aren't going to last half a year to 100%.
And that's a 16GB model. 8GB should be worse.
Holy shit. https://t.co/9HcmaYgJPT
— Hector Martin (@marcan42) February 15, 2021
M1 MacBook Air, 16GB, 512GB SSD, most of the time running with near full ram (I got the "you ran out of application memory" thing A LOT) pic.twitter.com/Z75vY9QbdF
— Jannik Malte Meissner 🇺🇦🇪🇺 (@jannikmeissner) February 15, 2021
The reason for the excessive data reads and writes isn’t clear as yet, but some of suggested it’s the relatively small amount of RAM these machines ship with. That could be causing macOS to use the SSD storage as temporary RAM more often than would normally be the case.
(Via: LTT Forums)
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 14.4 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Download: iOS 14.4 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.4 Out Now
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.4 The Easy Way [Tutorial]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.