Following on from yesterday’s Apple earnings call, IHS Markit has today released its 2017 data on smartphone shipments, with the results being more positive than similar statistics that came out of Strategy Analytics recently. According to IHS Markit’s numbers, the iPhone sits in top spot with the highest share of holiday quarter sales.
Following IHS Markit’s numbers for 2017 global smartphone shipments, the report shows an overall drop of 4.5% for quarter four – 387.5 million units, with only Xiaomi and Motorola said to have experienced growth in the number of smartphones shipped during the quarter. For the whole year, IHS claims the smartphone shipments as a whole saw a 3.1% growth with 1.44 billion units shipped – compared with 1.4 billion during 2016.
Given Apple’s blockbuster numbers announced yesterday, IHS Markit’s smartphone sales for the same period has Apple having moved 20% of devices, beating out Samsung, which boasts 19%. Interestingly, Samsung’s share dropped around 4% from the previous quarter, further highlighting the impact that Apple’s new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X had on the numbers. Samsung’s own flagship, the Galaxy S8, is also getting ready for a revision, which will likely have had an impact on sales amid rumors throughout the past couple of months that a Galaxy S9 would arrive in the first month or so of 2018.
Apple’s sales for the period, as announced during an earnings call yesterday, were a record for the company despite a reduction in iPhone numbers sold. The iPhone X saw the average selling price increase from $695 in 2016 to $796 last year, which more than made up for the fewer iPhones sold.
You can check out our coverage of Apple’s mind boggling numbers if that tickles your fancy, but all you really need to know is this – Apple made a lot of cash during the quarter!
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak And Cydia Update With Electra: It’s Almost Here
- The Best Kodi 17 Krypton Skins / Themes [2018 Edition]
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak: iOS 11.2.2 Signing Window Glitch Allows You To Downgrade From Latest Firmware
- iOS 11.3 Beta 2 Download Expected Release Date
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To iOS 11.2.2 For Potential Future Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]