As was expected, Apple has just released iBooks app for iPhones iPod touches running the newly released iOS 4. This release basically makes iBooks a universal binary, which means that you can run the same app on both the iPhone and iPad.
With iBooks now on the iPhone, you can download all your favorite books directly to your iPhone and iPod touch, and if you have already purchased a book on your iPad, you can download it again on your iPhone for free. This new version of iBooks for both iPhone and iPad also enables wireless syncing of notes and bookmarks between all your iOS devices capable of running the iBooks app.
Official description from iTunes is as follows.
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books, designed exclusively for iPad. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark your favorite passages.
• Enjoy a complimentary copy of the beautifully illustrated classic, Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne.
• Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore.
• Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it part of your collection.
• Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author, or category.
• Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment.
• Change the font size and pick from five included type faces to make your books more comfortable to read.
• Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature.
• Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page.
• Highlight your favorite passages with the built-in bookmarking feature.
• Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync them to iPad.
• iBooks supports amazing accessibility features in iPad, such as speaking the words on a given page.
• You must own an iPad to use iBooks.
• The iBookstore is only available to customers in the United States.
• An iTunes Store account is required to download from the iBookstore.
• iBooks only supports books published in the ePub electronic book format.
• To add ePub documents from outside the iBookstore to iBooks, they must be DRM-free and synced to iPad using iTunes 9.1 or later.
Here is what’s new in iBooks v1.1:
• In addition to iPad, iBooks is now available on any iPhone or iPod with iOS 4.
• Open and read PDF documents from Mail. PDF documents will be added to your library and appear on the PDF bookshelf. You can even search PDFs for words or phrases and bookmark your favorite pages.
iBooks for iPhone (iOS 4 only), iPad and iPod touch (iOS 4 only) is available for free on the iTunes App Store. You can download it via the link given below.
Download iBooks for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
Check out our iPhone Apps Gallery and iPad Apps Gallery to explore more apps for your iPhone and iPad.
You may also like to check out:
- iPad vs Kindle – The Definitive Comparison
- Kindle for iPad Brings 450000 Books and Newspapers on iPad
- All iOS 4 Ready Apps with Multitasking Capabilities in One Place
You can follow us on twitter or join our facebook fanpage to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google and Apple.