With all of the excitement surrounding the iPad Pro and MacBook Air, it can be easy to forget that the refreshed Mac mini is now also finally here. After years of neglect, Apple gave Mac mini users something they’ve been yearning for – a Mac mini with modern components inside. In fact, Apple went a step further than that by giving them a computer with replaceable SO-DIMM modules, meaning RAM can be upgraded and swapped out at will. However, while that is great news, there has been some confusion as to just how easy that procedure is and whether users can do it.
Apple’s party line has been that it wants users to come into Apple Stores or have an Apple Authorized Service Provider do the work, leading to some having the belief that the prospect of adding RAM on their own is something out of the question. However, there have now been a number of reports, and more importantly, YouTube videos, showing exactly what needs to be done to get at a 2018 Mac mini’s SO-DIMMs.
As can be seen in the excellent YouTube video created by the channel Brandon Geekabit, the process of replacing RAM in a Mac mini isn’t all that hard. You’ll need to have the correct Torx drivers to hand and perhaps the video to follow as a guide, but so long as you take your time and don’t lose any of those screws, you should be good to go.
If you do follow the process yourself, you’ll be able to add up to 64GB of RAM at prices that will dwarf those offered by Apple. The likes of Kingston and Crucial are great places to start, and we know that’s exactly what we will be doing when we bump the Redmond Pie Mac mini up from its standard 8GB to a more meaty 32GB.
Check the video out for yourself and see what you think. Would you be up for minor Mac mini surgery in the interest of saving some money and getting more memory?
(Source: Brandon Geekabit [YouTube])
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1 On iPhone XS Max Achieved By KeenLab
- Jailbreak iOS 12.0.1 Gets New Hope As Project Zero’s Bug Has Been Found To Have Been Patched In iOS 12.1
- Download iOS 12.1.1 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA For Compatible iPhone And iPad
- 2018 iPad Pro 11 / 12.9-Inch Glass Screen Protector: Here Are The Best Ones Available Today [List]
- Downgrade iOS 12.1 To iOS 12.0.1 On iPhone Or iPad, Here’s How
- Download iOS 12.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1 / 12.0.1 / 12 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Download 2018 iPad Pro Wallpapers For Any iPad, iPhone