You may remember that we very recently told you about the Electra team’s intention of replacing Cydia with its own installation app called Sileo. Following on from that, we now have an opportunity to see a very small part of Sileo in action, running on an iPad and showing the functionality which will allow device owners to add new APT-based repositories.
Plenty of individuals have attempted to put a replacement, or “alternative” to Cydia in place over the years. All of those individuals have failed. Some of the failures have come from the fact that the solution has quite simply been terribly put together and wasn’t fit for purpose.
Some have failed simply because Cydia has been seen as the success flag of a functional jailbreak for pretty much as long as jailbreaking has been around and users are reluctant to move away from that and accept alternatives. However, with Cydia no longer seeming to be serviced and maintained in an official capacity by Saurik, it seems that the time could be right for the right alternative.
The Electra team clearly believes that Sileo is that alternative. Which makes sense considering the Electra jailbreak is really the only jailbreak solution that we have, and are likely to have, for the foreseeable. If Sileo is installed with that jailbreak, and Cydia is entirely removed from the equation, then device owners will have little choice but to accept their new package installation master. Besides, if the video embedded below is anything to go by, then it looks as though not a great deal has actually changed with Sileo offering a familiar-looking experience that most jailbreakers should be able to pick up in no time at all.
The 58-second video shows the process of adding new repositories to the Sileo app with the popular Ryan Petrich and angelXwind repositories being added through a familiar screen and process which isn’t very far removed from what exists within Cydia. This all happens under the Sources tab with the video also showing that the user will have the option to navigate to Featured, Packages, and Search controllers in order to view, find, and install any packages which exist on the repositories handled by Sileo.
Check out the video for yourself and see what you think? It’s very Cydia-esque.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4 Beta 3 On iPhone X, 8, 7 Using Electra, Here’s How [Guide]
- Downgrade To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, 2, 1 IPSW Download And Jailbreak Using Electra Now Possible
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 On iPhone X By Downgrading To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, Here’s How
- Downgrade iOS 11.4.1 To Older Firmware Version On iPhone Or iPad [How-To Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 3 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 3 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]