Here’s our hands-on video overview of iOS 11 beta running on an iPhone 7 Plus and an iPad Pro showing some of the many new features new to Apple’s mobile OS.
Apple this week announced and released a developer preview of the newest version of iOS – iOS 11.
It brings many new features and capabilities to the iPhone and iPad including a redesigned Control Center, new Files app on iPhone and iPad. Also, we get a brand new dock, drag and drop feature, and better multitasking for iPad. We’ve been using it for a full day and have a full video showing some noteworthy new features and tweaks you can expect to see when the final version of iOS 11 launches to the public in the Fall.
- Redesigned and more discoverable app drawer in Messages. You can easily scroll through your stickers and apps.
- Apple Pay now works in Messages for person to person payments, integrated right into messages with an iMessage app. If you receive money, it’ll go to your Apple Pay Cash card and you can send it to others or transfer it to your bank.
- Messages in iCloud: You can now backup your messages to your iCloud account. When signing into a new device, all your conversations are synchronized. If you delete a message on one device, it’ll delete it from the other.
- Female and male voices have been improved and sounds more human-like.
- Siri can now translate English to Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
- Portrait photos (for iPhone 7 Plus) in iOS 11 are now improved with better image quality, low-light performance, optical image stabilization, true tone flash, and HDR.
- H.264 to HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding): Videos are now saved in HEVC codec, giving up to 2x better compression, so it’ll take less storage on your device and on the cloud.
- JPEG to HEIF (High Efficiency Image Format): Photos are now saved with up to 2x better compression to take less storage on device & cloud.
- Memories scans your library and can now capture memories by: Pets, #TBT, sporting events, performances, outdoor activities, night out, wedding, anniversary, & babies.
- Memories videos can now be watched in landscape or portrait.
- Live Photos: You can now trim, select key photo, mute and add new effects like loop, bounce, and long exposure.
- Control center is now redesigned and gives you the ability to customize with more apps and features such as screen recording, low power mode, Do Not Disturb While Driving, HomeKit, Wallet, and more.
- Maps is now able to give detailed indoor plans for select malls and you can browse by floors. More malls will be available in the future.
- Airports get more detail with detailed floor plans, security check-ins, and more. This is only available for select airports. More airports will be available in the future.
- When using navigation, it will now show you the speed limit and give you lane guidance when approaching an exit or turn.
Do Not Disturb While Driving
- A new feature that will turn your screen black to allow safer driving when on the road. When receiving a notification, you will not be notified to avoid distractions. When you get a message, it will automatically send a reply that says you’ll get in touch when you are at your destination. If the sender’s message is urgent, they can reply “urgent” and the message will go through.
Other Great Features, Tweaks
- iPad gets a new dock giving ability to add several apps/folders
- iPad supports new drag and drop system-wide
- iPad gets easier access to symbols on keyboard with a swipe down on keys
- Improved multitasking on iPad
- AirPods get options to enable next and previous track switching with a double tap
- New App Store app icon and UI redesigned
- New Calculator app icon and UI redesigned
- Podcast app UI redesign
- New iTunes Store icon
- Screen recording is now native to iOS 11, allowing you to record throughout your device
- Signal Bars are no longer dots but now actual signal bars
- Battery icon got a slight tweak
- Navigation bars got thicker and have bold font
- Shut down prompt can be activated via Settings
- Apps in dock no longer have labels, giving a cleaner look
- Two new messages effects: Send with Echo & Send with Spotlight
- Quickly markup a screenshot after capturing it by tapping the thumbnail shown at the bottom-left
- One-handed keyboard mode
- Emergency SOS can be accessible by pressing the power/sleep button five times to get SOS and dial an emergency contact
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11 Vs Android O 8.0: Features Not Available On Stock Google Mobile OS
- How To Get Best iOS 11 Features On iOS 10 Right Now
- 100+ Hidden / Secret iOS 11 Features For iPhone And iPad [Running List]
- iOS 11 Beta Vs iOS 10 Visual Differences Comparison [Screenshots]
- iOS 11 ARKit Compatibility: Check If Your Device Is Compatible With Apple’s New AR Platform
- Download iOS 11 Beta 1 IPSW Links For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Right Now
- Download iOS 11 Beta OTA Configuration Profile Without UDID / Developer Account [How-To Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11 Beta 1 & Install On iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]