We have good news. Google isn’t selling your videos to third parties. But we have bad news, too. It’s giving them away instead.
Not on purpose, though. As some people have started to share on Twitter, Google is now emailing people who it believes have had their videos shared with other people by accident. It all relates to Google’s Takeout service, one that allows users to download all of their data.
Google says that there was a “technical issue” between November 21 and November 25 2019, with a number of users receiving videos from other users as part of their Takeout download.
Google hasn’t yet said how many people were impacted, nor which videos were sent to the wrong people. Google seems to have fixed the issue after five days, and says that just 0.01% of Google Photos users have been impacted. But with more than one billion users, that could still be plenty of people.
But it’s fine. Google has apologized “for any inconvenience this may have caused.”
Whoa, what? @googlephotos? pic.twitter.com/2cZsABz1xb
— Jon Oberheide (@jonoberheide) February 4, 2020
“We are notifying people about a bug that may have affected users who used Google Takeout to export their Google Photos content between November 21 and November 25,” a Google spokesperson said via a statement to 9to5Google. “These users may have received either an incomplete archive, or videos — not photos — that were not theirs. We fixed the underlying issue and have conducted an in-depth analysis to help prevent this from ever happening again. We are very sorry this happened.”
If you were one of those affected you should have received an email by now. If you haven’t, it’s probably a good bet that you’re safe.
You may also like to check out:
- Checkra1n For Windows Alternative: How To Use Ra1nUSB For iOS 13.3 Jailbreak
- Download: iOS 13.3.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update And iPadOS 13.3.1 Released For Compatible Devices
- Downgrade iOS 13.3.1 To iOS 13.3 For Checkra1n Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 13.3 / 13.3.1 On iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max, XS, More With New tfp0 Exploit Will Be Possible Soon
- iOS 13 / 13.2.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List For Checkra1n
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.