Global Apple Watch Orders Surpass 2.3 Million Units Mark

A new report coming out of KGI’s usually reliable Ming-Chi Kuo has Apple selling approximately 2.3 million Apple Watch pre-orders. Existing reports already claimed that Apple has managed to get pre-order numbers in the range of a million during the first 24 hours of the Apple Watch going up for grabs. Both numbers are impressive and already has the Apple Watch being at the very top of the pile for smartwatch sales.

Kuo takes things a little further by stripping the orders down to specific models to see which has proven the most popular during the pre-order phase. As might be expected using nothing but anecdotal Twitter evidence as a guide, the space gray Apple Watch Sport is driving quite popular, with the Sport as a whole accounting for 85% of all Watch pre-orders. Beyond that, the more expensive Apple Watch – in steel – accounts for all but the remaining 15%, according to Kuo, with the high-end Apple Watch Edition taking less than 1% of orders. If you’re surprised by that, then you’re probably considerably more well off than we are.

Apple Watch collection main

Apple is reported to be making between two and three million Apple Watches per month at this point.

While not actual Apple numbers, Kuo tends to be pretty spot on with sales figures such as these and we don’t have a huge reason to doubt these in particular. We will only know for sure when Apple shares its own figures, and even then it has already said that it won’t be breaking orders down into individual models much to our disappointment.

Beyond the Apple Watch, Kuo also added that TSMC will get around 30% of Apple’s A9 chip orders for the next iPhones and iPads following concerns over Samsung’s 14nm production capacity. GlobalFoundries failures have already caused a rejig as far as orders are concerned, according to the report.


The Apple Watch goes on sale next Friday, April 24th, but pre-orders are already stretching beyond May for anyone that places an order today.

(via: MacRumors)

Be sure to check out our hands-on with the Apple Watch:

You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.