It’s only been a little over four days since Bandai Namco’s Code Vein was released, and it seems to have amassed quite a bit of clout on PC. The anime-flavored Dark Souls clone has already surpassed one of the games from the series that inspired it. The game’s peak concurrent player count on Steam stands at 33,804 at the time of writing, which trumps that of the original Dark Souls as well as its remastered variant.
You may be surprised to learn that the first Dark Souls had an all-time high of 11,248 concurrent players on Steam and while Dark Souls: Remastered was able to garner a little more than twice as many at 24,505, both still fall short of Code Vein’s current peak. This, of course, is more a reflection of popularity than quality. For one, the original Dark Souls was riddled with issues on PC, with players resorting to mods just for a more stable experience. Dark Souls II and Dark Souls III enjoyed much higher numbers, peaking at 79,528 and 129,831 concurrent players respectively.
Code Vein may, it seems, have the growing popularity of Souls-like games to thank for its success, with its anime-inspired look and feel being the cherry on top. The fact that developer Bandai Namco published FromSoftware’s Dark Souls series may also have afforded it a little more confidence from the market. That is not to say that the vampire-themed action RPG isn’t one to seek your teeth into (apologies for the unwarranted pun); it holds its own against recent Souls-like games the likes of The Surge 2 and Remnant: From the Ashes.
It may, however, be a ways away from eclipsing the depth of FromSoftware’s design. The game does have a more fleshed out character creator that I definitely did not spend a whole hour on before starting my first playthrough.
Of course, comparisons aren’t the only measure of a game’s success and Code Vein isn’t even a week old yet. There’s no telling where the game’s numbers go from here, though the lack of a PVP mode is likely to hurt its growth.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 13.1.2 / iPadOS 13.1.2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released For iPhone And iPad
- Downgrade iOS 13.1.2 / iPadOS 13.1.2 To iOS 13.1.1 / 13.1 / 13.0 / 12.1.4, Here’s How
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 11, Pro Max Tripod For Night Mode Long Exposure Photos [List]
- Install WhatsApp Web On iPad Thanks To iOS 13 And iPadOS 13.1
- Jailbreak iOS 13 / 13.1 Status Update [Continuously Updated With Latest Info]
- iOS 13.1 Jailbreak Update: Security Content Fixes And Patches Detailed By Apple
- Best iPhone 11, Pro Max Tripods For Night Mode Long Exposure Photos [List]
- Download Kodi 19 IPA / DEB For tvOS 13 Apple TV
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.