Yesterday saw Apple announce the first M1-powered Macs and all three new machines have some interesting tidbits that are worth considering, and not all of them are good.
Starting with the good stuff though, the M1 MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini all now support 6K displays, including the Pro Display XDR.
That’s excellent news for anyone who wanted Apple’s big boy display but couldn’t use one with their Mac of choice. The Intel Mac mini and 13-inch MacBook Pro previously maxed out at 5K displays, although the Intel MacBook Air was good for 6K all along.
But there’s bad news here as well. Apple has decided that the new GPU built into al M1 Macs is so good that we won’t need to use external GPUs anymore.
None of the new Macs support eGPUs which is a concern. Even if the fancy new GPU inside the M1 is as good as Apple says, it still won’t compete with a good eGPU. Loss of support is definitely a disappointment.
On a more positive note, all M1-powered Macs support WiFi 6 offering superior WiFi connectivity and speeds. The MacBook Air now features new function keys, and new buttons for Spotlight, Dictation, and Do Not Disturb are now included, with the keyboard backlight controls and Launchpad button gone for now. The 13-inch MacBook Pro doesn’t have any function keys because of the Touch Bar, of course.
All of the new M1-powered Macs are available for pre-order right now and they’ll be available next week. Anyone ordering now should be good for delivery on launch day, although there’s no telling what in-store stock situations will be like.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14.2 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.2
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.2 The Right Way [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.