There’s been a lot of buzz about the super-quick Tesla Model S Plaid of late and for good reason. It’s a big, costly sedan that’s capable of insane acceleration. But it isn’t all good news — it turns out one’s already caught fire.
Supposedly one of the first 250 vehicles of its type to have been shipped to customers, the vehicle caught fire in Haverford, Pennsylvania and briefly trapped the owner inside.
A lawyer for the owner says that it “spontaneously combusted” which isn’t something you ever want your car to do. Especially when it’s sat atop a ton of batteries.
The $130,000 vehicle was completely obliterated during the fire despite the work of trained firefighters. According to The Verge:
Firefighters from both the Gladwyne and Lower Merion Fire Departments arrived on the scene shortly before 9PM ET on Tuesday. The firefighters, who had been trained on how to respond to battery fires involving Tesla vehicles, “laid a 5 inch supply line into the scene so that we could keep a continual water stream on the fire to extinguish the fire and cool the batteries down to ensure complete extinguishment,” according to a statement from the Gladwyne Fire Department. The driver managed to escape and there were no injuries reported.
Our firm & @AthleteDefender represent an exec who purchased new Tesla Plaid Model S, which was 1/250 shipped. On Tuesday it spontaneously combusted. Our client was trapped & could have died. We tried reaching out to Tesla & have been ignored so far. This is car after escape. pic.twitter.com/wXyJXbWggJ
— Ben Meiselas (@meiselasb) July 1, 2021
This of course isn’t the first time that a Tesla has caught fire, but it’s the first time one of the new Model S Plaid cars has combusted like this. Tesla isn’t the only car company to have batteries catch fire of course, but it’s the one that catches the most attention and causes most headlines as a result.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: Windows 11 Preview Build 22000.51 ISO Released For Insiders
- iOS 15 Beta Compatibility For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- 150+ iOS 15 Hidden Features For iPhone And iPad [List]
- Download iOS 15 Beta 2 IPSW Links And Install On iPhone And iPad
- iOS 15 Beta 2 Profile File Download Without Dev Account, Here’s How
- How To Downgrade iOS 15 Beta To iOS 14.6 / 14.7 [Tutorial]
- How To Download iOS 15 Beta 1 Along With iPadOS 15 Beta 1
- iOS 15 Beta 3 / Public Beta Download Expected Release Date
- Download: iOS 14.6 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.6 Released
- Jailbreak iOS 14.6 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.6 And iPadOS 14.6 [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.