You know what’s better than an iPhone with two cameras around the back? One with three cameras, or at least that appears to be what Apple’s engineers think if a new report by Taiwanese website Economic Daily News is anything to go by.
According to the outlet, the 2019 iPhone, at least one of those released, will ship with three rear-facing camera lenses based on a research note from Deutsche Securities analyst Jialin Lu.
Lu believes that the use of three cameras will allow for advanced 3D sensing thanks to stereoscopic vision. This will mean that two of the cameras will be used to capture an image of the same object, at the same time, but from two different angles thanks to their different locations on the handset.
Bloomberg had previously suggested that a future iPhone would include a feature relating to rear-facing 3D sensing capabilities and this latest rumor would tie into that nicely.
Such a camera system would further Apple’s continuing push into the world of augmented reality with stereoscopic capabilities potentially helping developers leverage ARKit and giving us a new round of impressive apps following the initial influx following the arrival of iOS 11.
If two of the three lenses are used for taking shots of the same thing from different angles, Lu believes the third is likely to support 3x optical zoom, bringing such a feature to the iPhone for the first time and improving upon the 2x optical zoom currently offered by the iPhone X Plus. If all of this is true it is likely that such a featureset would be reserved for Apple’s 2019 flagship with three camera potentially trickling down to other handsets over the coming years.
(source: Economic Times Daily [Google Translate])
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.4 Final Download Expected Release Date
- iOS 12 Beta Download, Rumors, Features, Release Date [Everything We Know So Far]
- PUBG Mobile 0.7.1 Beta APK, iOS App Rolls Out, Patch Notes Teased
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3.1: With iOS 11.4 Final And iOS 12 Beta Releasing Soon, Will We See A New Public Jailbreak?
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3 / 11.3.1 / 11.2.6 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Download iOS 11.3.1 IPSW Links, OTA Update With Fix For Third-Party Screen Repair Issue