Facebook has introduced two more relationship status options in addition to the ones currently there which include Single, In a relationship, Engaged, Married, It’s complicated, In an open relationship, Widowed, Separated and Divorced.
The two new indicators are for the folks from LGBT community. While the folks at US, UK, Canada, France and Australia can already choose between the two new options introduced: “In a domestic partnership” and “In a civil union”, they will be rolled out to other countries soon. Moreover, these relationship indicators will not appear in regions where same sex marriages are already legal.
This has been a highly requested feature from users. We want to provide options for people to genuinely and authentically reflect their relationships on Facebook.
In past, the social website has been really supportive to the LGBT community. Facebook has also worked in collaboration with GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) to stop the bullying of LGBT community.
Since there are states where same sex marriages aren’t allowed but "Domestic relationships" and "Civil Unions" exist, it is a step that had to be taken by the social network to preserve the rights of LGBT folks.
With the introduction of this new feature, Facebook has taken away frustration of many of it’s users who would openly like to express their relationship statuses. However, on the other hand, the feature isn’t very welcoming for all the countries around the globe, which is why it hasn’t been rolled out to them yet.
You may also like to check out:
- Facebook Launches Location Service Called “Places”
- What is the First Thing Young Women Do in Morning Before Going to Bathroom? Check Facebook [Report]
- Facebook for iPhone App has Over 100 Million Users! That is as Much as All iOS Devices Sold by Apple
- Facebook for Android Gets a Major Overhaul ! Zuckerberg’s Move to Android Might Have Something to do with that..
- Facebook Launches New Groups, Refreshed Interface, Download Your Facebook Data Feature & Application Dashboard