The following guide will help you jailbreak and unlock iPhone 2G (aka EDGE) on 3.1.2 firmware with 05.11.07 baseband. We will use blackra1n RC3 to jailbreak iPhone 2G on 3.1.2 firmware and then later unlock it for any carrier using BootNeuter. blacksn0w unlock is for iPhone 3G and 3GS only and so we will have to use BootNeuter which can unlock iPhone 2G on 3.1.2 firmware with 05.11.07 baseband. Step by step guide on how to jailbreak and unlock is as follows.
Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 3G and 3GS: The following guide is for iPhone 2G (EDGE) only. iPhone 3G and 3GS users should follow the guide here to jailbreak, and here to unlock their iPhone on 3.1.2 firmware.
Step 1: Download the latest version of iTunes if you haven’t already. Download link is given below.
Step 2: Update/restore to the original (stock) iPhone firmware 3.1.2 on your iPhone 2G by using the latest version of iTunes. Download link for iPhone Firmware 3.1.2 is given at the end of the post.
Step 3: You will now have to jailbreak your iPhone running on iPhone 3.1.2 firmware with blackra1n RC3. Follow the complete step by step guide posted here in order to jailbreak your iPhone 2G with blackra1n RC3.
Step 4: Once you are done with the jailbreak, you can now unlock your iPhone running jailbroken firmware 3.1.2 by using BootNeuter app. Goto Cydia and search for “BootNeuter” app and install this app. Make sure that you have “BigBoss & Planet-iPhones” repository added in Cydia before you make your search for this app.
Step 3: Now simply restart your iPhone. When BootNeuter starts, set the settings as shown in the screenshot below in order to make sure that phone is unlocked on 3.1.2 firmware.
Voila! You are now running a fully unlocked and jailbroken iPhone 2G on firmware 3.1.2.
You may also like to take a look at the following guides:
- How to: Enable MMS on iPhone 2G 3.1.2 Firmware
- How to: Enable Tethering on iPhone 2G running 3.1.2 Firmware
- How to: How to Secure your Jailbroken iPhone from SSH Hack
- How to: Patch your MobileInstallation file on iPhone 3.1.2 firmware
- How to: Enable iPhone 3GS Battery Percentage on iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G
- How to: Fix Push Notifications on iPhone 3.1.2 Hacktivated
- How to: Enable iPhone 3GS Voice Control on iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G
- How to: Enable iPhone 3GS Video Editing and Camera Roll in iPhone 3G and 2G
Feel free to ask me any questions here should you run into any problems when jailbreaking and unlocking your iPhone 2G with blackra1n.