If you have been sitting patiently waiting for Checkra1n to drop into the community, then you aren’t the only one. Based on previously known information, all indicators pointed to us having the checkm8-based jailbreak in our hands by now.
Alas, a release was not to be. According to a post by u/nickkgar, it seems that a few last-minute hiccups have caused the launch to be slightly delayed.
If you are going to be one of the early adopters who get their hands on the jailbreak, then the minimum that you want is for that jailbreak to be reliable and stable and not brick your device as it goes through the process. Security researchers are used to coming away with broken devices but the general public simply expects to walk away with a liberated device with Cydia installed.
According to those who claim to have knowledge of the Checkra1n development process, the delay is down to unforeseen instabilities with the rootfs restore functionality of the jailbreak. If a general member of the public was to run their device through Checkra1n in this state, then it is likely that it would cause sporadic boot-loops on said device, which, as we should all know by now, is definitely not something that you want to experience when you are excited about a jailbreak. In modern jailbreaks, the rootfs restore feature has become commonplace by allowing a user to un-jailbreak without actually updating the version of iOS on their device.
Although we now have a little more information on the delay, we don’t have any additional clarity on how long the issues will take to fix or when Checkra1n will eventually land. Of course, as soon as any updates are made available we will be sure to let you know.
For now, what we do know is that the initial release will be for macOS users only and will be executed via the command line as a CLI-only app. Support will be released in the relatively near future for Windows and Linux users, which will be a big sigh of relief as it is very likely that the majority of jailbreakers are actually Windows users. Stay tuned and more updates as they come!
You may also like to check out:
- Fix iOS 13 Apple Notes App Sync Not Working With Catalina And Other Devices, Here’s How
- Download: iOS 13.2.2 / iPadOS 13.2.2 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- iOS 13.2.2 Release Notes, Changelog: All New Features And Changes In One Place
- Gold iPhone 11 Pro Max: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, More
- Red iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Yellow iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Purple iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi USB Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Green iPhone 11 Accessories: Case, Lightning Cable, Qi USB Charger, Band, Speaker, Much More
- Midnight Green iPhone 11 Pro Max: Case, Lightning Cable, Wireless Charger, Band, Speaker, More
- Best iPhone 11, 11 Pro Max Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro Max Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak