Today marks the twentieth anniversary of Mac OS X, the software update that ushered in the modern Mac era on March 24, 2001.
The update, named Cheetah, was the first to offer the new Aqua interface that was controversial at the time.
The water-like interface was very blue and very round, something that many didn’t like. Now, 20 years later, the macOS we use today is very different to the Mac OS X of 2001 in many ways. Yet, in others, it’s still very similar.
First announced in January of 2000 during the Macworld Expo, the Mac OS X update was deemed the “most important software” from Apple since the original 1984 Macintosh operating system by no other than Steve Jobs. He also said that the release would “delight consumers with its simplicity and amaze professionals with its power.” Many years later, the iPhone would do something similar.
Unlike macOS nowadays, the Mac OS X update retailed for $129. Apple hasn’t charged for a software update since 2013, a move that has proved hugely influential in ensuring users update their Macs to the latest releases as soon as possible.
One thing that hasn’t changed since 2001 is bugs. Apple’s Mac OS X release was so poor that it was followed just six months later by Mac OS X 10.1 Puma. Those who wax lyrical about Apple’s poor software quality in 2021 should note that such issues are far from new!
Apple recently released macOS Big Sur and while it has itself had issues, it’s been largely well-received.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.4.1 IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.4.1 Out Now
- How To Jailbreak iOS 14.3 With Unc0ver v6.0.0 On iPhone 12 Using AltStore
- Download Unc0ver v6.0.0 IPA iPhone 12 Jailbreak For iOS 14.3
- Want To Downgrade To iOS 14.3 From iOS 14.4 For Unc0ver Jailbreak? Here’s What You Need To Know
- Jailbreak iOS 14.4.1 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.4 The Easy Way [Tutorial]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.