Apple has enabled Family Sharing for subscriptions for the first time, as noted by a few developers on social media last night.
The feature means that anyone who shares an app via Family Sharing can now also share the in-app subscription. So long as developers opt in, of course.
The new feature can be seen in the Subscriptions area of the App Store settings, with users able to switch the sharing on or off as they wish. However, developers will first need to enable family sharing themselves which allows them to prevent subscriptions from being shared if they prefer.
That could be useful for subscriptions that have a large cost associated with them – flight tracking, for example, requires costly data per user and allowing a subscription to be shared could be crippling for a developer.
The ability to share subscriptions was announced alongside macOS Big Sur, iOS 14, and iPadOS 14 back in June during the WWDC event. It’s taken a long time for the feature to go live, but it’s thought that it came into effect when Apple also brought the App Store Small Business Program online last night, too.
Family Sharing for Subscriptions just went live. pic.twitter.com/QxPDiztNWw
— Ryan Jones (@rjonesy) December 3, 2020
So far the number of developers who have enabled subscription sharing appears to be very low indeed, but with the feature having only gone live hours ago we’re hopeful that will change.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 14.2 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.2
- Download iOS 14.2.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File For iPhone 12, mini, Pro, Pro Max
- Apple Releases iOS 14.3 Beta 3 And iPadOS 14.3 Beta 3 To Developers
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.2 The Right Way [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.