Its finally here ! The newly released Skype 2.0 for iPhone enables the much awaited VoIP calls over 3G network. This feature though will only be free to use until August 2010, after which a small fee (via in-app purchase perhaps?) will apply. Carrier charges of course will cost extra. The official change log of Skype 2.0 is as follows.
What’s New in Version 2.0.0
Upgrades / improvements include:
– Call using your 3G connection. Skype-to-Skype calls on 3G are free until at least end of August 2010, after which there will be a small monthly fee (operator charges for data will still apply).
– Near CD-quality sound for Skype-to-Skype calls using wideband audio (SILK codec) on iPhone 3GS and 2nd generation iPod touch.
– Enhanced call quality indicator.
– Improved start-up time.
– Fast access to the dial pad from iPhone home screen.
The only disappointment about Skype 2.0.0 is the lack of full iPad support, which is yet to come. Hopefully it wont be long before Skype enables full iPad support in the next version.
Skype for iPhone was first released back in March 2009 and since then has only got a few minor updates.
Download Skype 2.0.0 for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad [iTunes Link]
You may also like to check out:
- How to Use your iPod Touch as a iPhone
- How to keep Skype App running in the background on iPhone
- How to Jailbreak iPad 3.2, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G Video Edition