If you have not yet upgraded to Windows 10, now would be a very good time to do so with the time window (yes, sorry) for free upgrades ending today for users of assistive technologies.
While the original window for free upgrades closed on July 29, 2016, Microsoft later confirmed that it would be extending the period for those who make use of assistive technology, although that too was set to end on December 31st, 2017. However, Microsoft subsequently confirmed that the timeframe had again been extended to mid January. That, for those lacking a calendar, is today.
While this extended, extended opportunity for Windows 10 upgrades is intended for those using the aforementioned assistive technologies, it has long been something of an open secret that Microsoft does not actually implement any sort of checks in order to enforce this limitation. That means that anyone wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 for free can do so, essentially, until midnight tonight. At that point, everyone will have to stump up for the upgrade with Windows 10 Home costing $119.99 and the Pro version being $199.99.
The reason for Microsoft’s lack of implementation of any checks to ensure upgraders are using assistive technologies is surely not a technical limitation but rather a case of Microsoft genuinely wanting users to upgrade to the latest version of Windows.
The reasons for this are likely many, including ensuring users have the most secure version of the operating system as well as the one with the most up-to-date APIs and such, allowing developers and accessory makers to push their wares to more people.
At this point, we do simply wish Microsoft would take a leaf out of Apple’s book and offer Windows upgrades for free, at least for home users. We don’t expect this to happen any time soon, unfortunately.
You may also like to check out:
- Kodi Keyboard Shortcuts For Windows, Mac, And Linux [List]
- iOS 11.2.2 Jailbreak Possbility: Here’s What Is Known So Far
- iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak Tweaks Compatibility List For Electra
- Download Electra iOS 11.1.2 Jailbreak Toolkit IPA For iPhone Or iPad
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.2 To iOS 11.2.1 Or 11.1.2: Here’s What You Need To Know
- Download iOS 11.2.2 IPSW Links And OTA For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 / 11.2.5 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.