Following the news that Intel is pulling its plans to launch 5G modems, a new report has Apple getting ready to use Qualcomm 5G modems in the future.
This comes from sources for Nikkei, who apparently know details relating to the settlement between Apple and the chip maker recently.
The report has Apple not moving to 5G modems until the 2020 iPhone, which jives well with previous claims of a similar nature.
“It is too late for Apple to use Qualcomm’s chips this year, but for 2020 it will purchase modem chips, including 5G modem chips, from the chipmaker for iPhones after finalizing the deal,” a source with direct knowledge of the settlement plan told Nikkei.
As it moved toward a settlement, Apple started testing Qualcomm’s 5G modem chips and asked some of its suppliers to test the chipmaker’s product, Nikkei has learned.
The report says that Qualcomm and Apple have been working on a settlement for weeks, with Apple confirming via press release that the two pair had agreed to drop any and all ongoing litigation with a new six-year licensing agreement having been signed.
According to another report by Economic Daily News, Apple’s 2020 iPhone lineup will also include a 4.7-inch iPhone using updated iPhone 8 internals in an attempt to give flagging sales a boost.
That particular report cites sources from Taiwan-based Fubon Securities Investment Trust which claims that an updated iPhone 8 with a 4.7-inch LCD screen will be coming. This will allow for an aggressive price of around $649, plugging a hole in Apple’s current iPhone lineup.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 12.2 Final IPSW Links And OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download: iOS 12.3 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Released
- iOS 12 / 12.1.2 iPhone XS Max Jailbreak Update Provided By Unc0ver Lead Developer
- iOS 12.2 Jailbreak Status: Here’s What You Need To Know
- Jailbreak iOS 12 / 12.1.2 / 12.1.2 Beta 3 With Unc0ver And Install Cydia, Here’s How [Tutorial]
- How To Downgrade iOS 12.2 To iOS 12.1.4 On iPhone Or iPad