It does not take a genius to work out that Apple has a pretty big smartphone release lined up for later this year, probably September.
With the tenth anniversary of the iPhone’s arrival being something Apple wants to celebrate, and rightly so, we can safely expect that the iPhone 8 will be Apple’s best iPhone yet.
To that end, we have had numerous rumors that have pointed to the device featuring a new OLED display, possibly around 5.8-inches in size. As Samsung has the market cornered in smartphone-sized OLED displays, it stands to reason that Apple would use it for the iPhone 8, but as we know, Apple does not like relying on third parties when it can be avoided.
A new report suggests that Apple already has wheels in motion that would allow it to no longer rely on Samsung or LG for OLED panels moving forward, especially with future iPhones also expected to move to OLED eventually. The report, via DigiTimes but originating from ET News, points out that Apple bought CVD (chemical vapor deposition) machines and now has a research & development line in Taiwan that is dedicated to OLED screen technology.
While Apple does want to have control of its manufacturing process, it does not want to be responsible for making its own parts. The move to buy a company that can instead provide those parts makes perfect sense, and would remove Apple’s reliance on a third party such as Samsung.
iPhone 8 render based on a leaked case
According to the report, the CVD machines Apple now owns are not widely available, suggesting it could allow a company to take control of them, opening the supply chain to new blood. We suspect there would be no shortage of suitors for such a move, especially when it comes hand-in-hand with a deal to provide iPhone displays, too.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 11 Beta 4 OTA Configuration Profile Without UDID / Developer Account [How-To Tutorial]
- Download: iOS 11 Beta 4 Released For Devs, Here Are The Details
- New In iOS 11 Beta 4: Release Notes, Changes, Features
- Download Nestopia IPA Of NES Emulator On iOS 10 [No Jailbreak Required]
- How To Downgrade iOS 10.3.3 / 10.3.2 / 10.3.1 On iPhone Or iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 10.3.3 / 10.3.2 / 10.3.1 / 10.3 For iPhone And iPad [Latest Status Update]
- Download iOS 11 Beta 4 & Install On iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]