There will always be rumors about when new technology hardware will be announced and subsequently go on sale, and that is certainly no different when it comes to gaming consoles.
There have been rumors on and off over the past few days and weeks surrounding when Sony will release the PS5, and while some had that potentially happening as soon as this year, Kotaku has poured scorn on that possibility, suggesting that not only will the PS5 not come in 2018, but that we will also have to wait a fair bit longer than the end of next year, too.
While it is now five years since the PlayStation 4 originally arrived – and the same goes for the Xbox One, for that matter – anyone expecting a replacement soon may be disappointed. According to Kotaku, they’re hearing that we may not see a PS5 until 2020, a timescale that will see the PS4 and PS4 Pro live on for a good while yet.
There is, of course, precedent for a lengthy life cycle when it comes to Sony’s consoles. The PS4 did not arrive until seven years after the PS3, and seeing as we mentioned the Xbox One earlier, it’s also worth noting that it itself did not make an appearance until eight years after its predecessor, the Xbox 360. Based on that, it’s entirely likely that we will not see a new Sony console any time soon, and Kotaku agrees.
Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting.
Developers usually have an inkling of new hardware announcements just because the likes of Sony and Microsoft need to get them on board early for all kinds of reasons. If developers aren’t expecting anything new just yet, then it’s likely that’s for a good reason.
Sorry guys – that PS4 Pro has plenty of life left in it yet.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.3 Jailbreak: Here’s What Is The Latest
- PUBG Mobile 0.4.0 Beta APK Slots On Android Opened Up For Limited Time
- Fortnite 3.5 With Patch Notes Released, Here’s What Is New
- PUBG Xbox Update 12, Patch Notes Released, Here Are The Details
- iOS 11.2.6 Downgrade To iOS 11.1.2 With FutureRestore: Here’s What You Need To Know
- Download iOS 11.4 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 11.3 IPSW Links, OTA Update Of Final Version Right Here
- Jailbreak iOS 11.3 / 11.2.6 / 11.2.2 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]