You’ve always been able to charge your iPhone and Apple Watch from a MacBook by plugging in a cable, but what if you could charge wirelessly instead? Wouldn’t that be a better idea?
Maybe, and that’s something Apple is exploring following the spotting of a pair of new patents relating to wireless charging.
According to the patents, spotted by Patently Apple, a MacBook would be able to charge a number of devices at the same time, including iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches. Theoretically, you could plug a MacBook in and charge various devices from it, all without needing any additional cables.
Apple’s patent FIGS. 7A and 17 below illustrate how multiple inductive charging coils could be placed under the frame of a MacBook that could accommodate charging of multiple devices at one time.
Apple’s images show a MacBook, both open and closed, with devices laid atop it. Those devices are charging wirelessly while others are placed on top of them. That would suggest that Apple’s patents would bring the same reverse wireless charging tech to iPhones and iPads, allowing them, in turn, to wirelessly charge other devices
Think of it as a four-tier wedding cake of Apple devices and you’ll have the idea.
It is, of course, important to remember that Apple patents everything its skilled engineers can come up with and that few of them actually turn into shipping products or features. But if this does ship, it could change the way we power our devices forever.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 14.3 Final IPSW Links, OTA Profile File Along With iPadOS 14.3 Released
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.3 The Easy Way [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 14.3 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Tutorial]
- How To Fix Bad iOS 14 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Convert Factory Wired Apple CarPlay To Wireless Apple CarPlay In Your Car Easily, Here’s How
- iPhone 12 / Pro Screen Protector With Tempered Glass: Here Are The Best Ones
- Best iPhone 12, 12 Pro Case With Slim, Wallet, Ultra-Thin Design? Here Are Our Top Picks [List]
- Best iPhone 12 Mini Screen Protector: Here’s A List Worth Checking
- Best iPhone 12 Pro Max Screen Protector: Here Is A List Worth Checking
- Jailbreak iOS 14.2 Using Checkra1n, Here’s How-To [Guide]
- How To Downgrade iOS 14.2 The Right Way [Tutorial]
- Apple Watch ECG App Hack: Enable Outside US In Unsupported Country On Series 5 & 4 Without Jailbreak
You can follow us on Twitter, or Instagram, and even like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.