Apple is expected to announce no fewer than three new iPhones next month and one of them could be about to use a new wireless charging coil, according to a new report by China Times.
The report has one of the iPhones switching from an FPC, or ferrite polymer composite, to a copper wire in order to allow faster and more efficient wireless charging.
The report claims that the move away from thinner FPC coils to a higher resistance and thicker copper coil would mean that wireless charging could provider faster results without overheating. However, the difference in thickness between the two solutions would need the iPhone to be thicker or, perhaps, the rest of its internals to be smaller.
Since high power and high efficiency are the trend of wireless charging, it is expected that at least one of the three iPhones in 2018 will abandon the FPC to adopt a copper coil solution to achieve the above goal, and because the copper wire coil resistance is small. It can also offset the thermal effects generated by the increase in power.
While users would need a more capable Qi charger in order to take advantage of the move to a copper wire coil, the theory is that the increase in charging speed could be significant all without having the iPhone itself become too hot, something that is a concern currently.
If this new charging solution is indeed set to only come to one of the three iPhones it would stand to reason that the larger, more costly iPhone X Plus would be the one to take advantage of it. The extra size may also make it possible for Apple to rejig the device’s internals in an attempt to compensate for the additional space required by the new copper component.
iPhone X internals via iFixit
(Source: China Times [Google Translate])
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 IPSW Links, OTA And Beta 8 Of macOS 10.14, watchOS 5, tvOS 12
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 / 11.4 Possibility: Min Zheng Outlines Two Bugs At Defcon 26
- Download: Android 9 Pie Factory Images, OTA For Pixel, Essential Phone Released
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.