Viber is an iOS application that lets you make free phone calls to other devices that have Viber. You can call any Viber user anywhere in the world, for free. Viber is available to install for free on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, all you have to do is provide your phone number meaning, unlike Skype, no registration is necessary.
Viber also uses your existing contact list and puts a little Viber logo beside any contact who has the app installed, making it easy to see who you can VoIP call for free but you can also make standard calls from within the app.
One cool feature of Viber is even when the app is closed and not running in the background, you can still receive calls through the service. This is achieved by sending a push notification via Apple’s servers, meaning a ring is generated and as soon as “Answer” button is tapped, the app launches and a connection is made in seconds. The only drawback is the data usage costs, but with many Carriers worldwide now offering unlimited data packages, this may not be an issue for you. Call quality is also excellent, both over 3G and WiFi and with Android and a Blackberry version on the way, why not give it a try.
Viber is proving to be very popular and has over 1 million downloads in the first 3 days since launch. It also has a very easy way to invite friends by sending a ready-made template through the iPhone SMS app.
This app is compatible with all iOS devices running iOS 3.0 or later.
From the official iTunes page:
* NO HIDDEN COSTS: Once you and your friends install the free Viber application, you can use it to talk (and soon also text) as much as you want. Talk, talk, and talk some more and it’s all free. Just makes sure all your friends get Viber! All you need is an Internet connection: 3G or Wi-Fi where available.
* NO INTERNATIONAL CHARGES: It doesn’t matter where you or your friends are, be it on the same network or in a totally different country. You can talk for as much as you want, for free. Just make sure your friends have Viber too.
* COMPLETELY FREE AND WITH NO ADS: Viber and all Viber features are absolutely free and do not require any additional “in application” purchase. On top of that, Viber doesn’t contain any annoying ads.
* NO USERNAMES, PASSWORDS OR REGISTRATION: You know your friend’s phone number, so why bother with yet another username and password? Viber uses your phone number as your “identity” and lets you make free Viber phone calls to any of your friends that have Viber – using THEIR phone number.
* NO BUDDY LIST: Viber automatically highlights friends in your iPhone’s address book that have Viber. That way you know who you can call for free!
* CALL ANYONE WITH VIBER, NOT JUST YOUR FRIENDS: Want to dial a number and don’t know if they have Viber? No problem, make the call with Viber and if they don’t have Viber the call will be made using your regular phone – but don’t forget to invite your friends to Viber so your next call is free ;).
* YOU CAN ALWAYS RECEIVE A CALL ON VIBER: If your phone is ON then so is Viber. Always ready to make and receive phone calls. No need to log in, or “go online” to receive a call.
* NO NEED TO ADD BUDDIES: Unlike applications like Skype, Windows Live Messenger or Fring where you need to “add buddies” and have them approve you, Viber behaves just like a phone. Just like you do not need to “add” someone in order to call them, you do not need to add your friends in order to call them on Viber. If you know their phone number, then you know their Viber number, and you’re ready to go!
* MISSED CALL NOTIFICATION: Even if you missed your Viber call because your iPhone was off, or there was no service, Viber will notify you of your missed calls as soon as service is restored.
* SOUND QUALITY: Viber uses state of the art technology in order to make sure the sound quality you get is much better than GSM or a regular phone call.
* IPOD TOUCH and IPAD support is almost here!
* MUCH MORE COMING: This is the first release of Viber. We are hard at work bringing many more features to your Viber phone. Free text messages, more ringtones (and custom ones), wallpapers, location based services and more are all coming soon to Viber!
Check out the video demo below
Download Viber for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch [iTunes Link]
You may also like to check out:
- How to Use your iPod Touch as a iPhone
- How to keep Skype App running in the background on iPhone
- Skype Brings Multitasking Support for iOS 4 and iPhone 4