You may remember that we told you a few months ago about an issue that appeared to befall some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus handsets which rendered their microphone unusable.
This would often manifest itself by causing the speaker button in calls for FaceTime chats to be grayed out, making it impossible to tap them.
Around that time, it was noted by MacRumors that internal Apple documents had confirmed that the company was aware of the issue, but no explanation as to what was happening was ascertained.
Most importantly however, the document noted that if a customer with a faulty device returned it to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider outside of warranty, Apple would repair the iPhone free of charge. This was also anecdotally confirmed by a number of user reports from around the Internet, and while this was not an official service program, that did not matter to anyone who was able to get a free repair.
However, as of some point last week, it appears that Apple’s stance has changed somewhat. MacRumors has learned that the internal document stating that devices would be repaired free of charge, has now been deleted, and that stores must charge a standard out-of-warranty fee in order to complete the repair work.
It’s unclear why Apple has changed its mind here as whatever was causing the problem initially will clearly still be an issue for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus handsets that are out in the wild. Thankfully, if you have an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus that is still within its warranty period or is covered by AppleCare+ then you’re golden, but if not you’re unfortunately going to be out of luck from here on out.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4 Beta 3 On iPhone X, 8, 7 Using Electra, Here’s How [Guide]
- Downgrade To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, 2, 1 IPSW Download And Jailbreak Using Electra Now Possible
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 On iPhone X By Downgrading To iOS 11.4 Beta 3, Here’s How
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 4 IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad [Devs Only]
- Download iOS 12 Beta 4 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 4 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple and the Web.