Apple recently confirmed the start of a new iPhone X display replacement program and the 2017 iPhone is not the only device to have issues, with the company also announcing the start of a new SSD service program for the 13-inch MacBook Pro, or at least the one that doesn’t have a Touch Bar.
The program only covers those machines with 128GB and 256GB SSDs built in, with impacted machines sold between June 2017 and June 2018.
According to Apple, a limited number of machines sold during that time period may be susceptible to data loss or entire drive failure, something that’s never a good sign. Anyone with a MacBook Pro that fits the description can enter their serial number into Apple’s website here to see whether their device falls under the new program, with Apple saying that those that are deemed to be part of the program should be booked in for repair as soon as possible.
If your computer is indeed one that requires attention, Apple has outlined some of the steps involved as well as the backups that should be taken.
Prior to service, it’s important to do a full back up of your data because your drive will be erased as part of the service process.
– A technician will run a utility to update your drive firmware which will take approximately one hour or less.
– Your 13-inch MacBook Pro will be returned to you with macOS re-installed.
– After service, you will need to restore your data from a backup.
Worryingly, Apple says that any MacBook Pro that loses files due to this issue will not be able to recover them, so now would be a great time to make sure your important files are backed up somewhere.
In its current form, the new program covers the impacted MacBook Pro models for three years after the first sale of the unit in question. Anyone who has already paid for a repair relating to this defect can apparently contact Apple to work out a refund.
You may also like to check out:
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1 On iPhone XS Max Achieved By KeenLab
- Jailbreak iOS 12.0.1 Gets New Hope As Project Zero’s Bug Has Been Found To Have Been Patched In iOS 12.1
- Download iOS 12.1.1 Beta 2 IPSW Links, OTA For Compatible iPhone And iPad
- 2018 iPad Pro 11 / 12.9-Inch Glass Screen Protector: Here Are The Best Ones Available Today [List]
- Downgrade iOS 12.1 To iOS 12.0.1 On iPhone Or iPad, Here’s How
- Download iOS 12.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1 / 12.0.1 / 12 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Download 2018 iPad Pro Wallpapers For Any iPad, iPhone
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.