With the release of macOS Mojave next month Apple will kill off the Back to My Mac service, one which allows users to access files and control computers remotely.
The feature was missing in the very first beta release of macOS Mojave and has not been re-added since. Now Apple is telling its customers to expect the change when macOS Mojave ships, informing them of alternatives that can be used to achieve the same outcome.
While the beta program has not seen Back to My Mac since day one, not everyone will be aware of its imminent death, hence Apple sending notifications to users while pointing them in the direction of a new support document, outlining the steps needed in order to find replacements for the features offered previously. Those include iCloud Drive for accessing files and solutions such as screen sharing and Apple Remote Desktop for remote control of networked Macs.
Back to My Mac will not be available on macOS Mojave. You can get ready now by learning about alternatives for file access, screen sharing, and remote desktop access.
While the iCloud Drive solution will work fine for files and screen sharing is a solution that may work for many, the pushing of users towards Apple Remote Desktop may be a controversial one amongst users. The app is currently available via the Mac App Store for a cool $80, so the suggestion that users should now buy a costly app rather than use a free service that is going away may cause some consternation. Regardless, users should seek alternatives if required, with LogMeIn, Splashtop, Microsoft Remote Desktop and Team Viewer all viable options.
You may also like to check out:
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 IPSW Links, OTA And Beta 8 Of macOS 10.14, watchOS 5, tvOS 12
- Jailbreak iOS 11.4.1 / 11.3.1: iOS 12 Beta 9 SEP Is Compatible With Electra Jailbreak Supported Firmware
- Download: Android 9 Pie Factory Images, OTA For Pixel, Essential Phone Released
- Download iOS 11.4.1 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 Configuration Profile File Without Developer Account
- Download iOS 12 Beta 9 IPSW Links & Install On iPhone X, 8, 7, Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]