Popular iPhone developer and hacker Comex, who is known for his userland based jailbreak tools such as Spirit and JailbreakMe, today has confirmed in a series of tweets on Twitter that Apple has patched his kernel exploit starting from iOS 4.3.1. This was the same exploit which was used to jailbreak iPad 2 on iOS 4.3, right after its launch in United States.
The said exploit was available from iOS 4.0.2 through iOS 4.3, but was found to be “magically” patched by Apple in iOS 4.3.1, only a couple of weeks after iPad 2 was found to be jailbroken on iOS 4.3.
The good news is that the ‘untether’ exploit found in iOS 4.3 by iPhone security expert and hacker Stefan Esser is still present in iOS 4.3.1, and at this point seems to be the only hope for the jailbreak community to look for forward to.
Also in case you don’t already know, tethered jailbreak solution for iOS 4.3.1 on a variety of iOS devices is available already for both Windows and Mac users. You can follow our step by step tutorials to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch:
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 4
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 3GS (New and Old Bootrom)
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPad
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPod touch 4G and 3G
- How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.4 on Windows
We will keep you updated as always. Stay tuned!