Chip maker Qualcomm caught everyone’s attention earlier this week when it obtained an injunction that would prevent the import and sale of iPhones in China. That victory was somewhat hollow, though, with the ban only affecting iPhones that ran older versions of iOS and in reality, nothing changed. Qualcomm is now emboldened, however, and it’s keen to push on. According to a new report by Reuters, Qualcomm is now trying to ban the sale of the iPhone XS and iPhone XR in the country, too.
The new lawsuit relates to patents for resizing images and the use of navigation apps, something that would presumably impact all iPhones sold. However, Apple says that none of the supposedly infringing code is in iOS 12.
Qualcomm is asking courts in China to ban sales of Apple’s latest iPhone models XS and XR after winning a preliminary injunction against older models, the Financial Times reported on Thursday […]
“We plan to use the same patents to file suit against the three new iPhone models,” Jiang Hongyi, a lawyer at Lexfield Law Offices who is representing Qualcomm in its patent suits, told the FT.
It’s thought that it is unlikely Qualcomm will win this one, although there are complications given the fact China may want to push back on a US company at a time where President Trump is speaking about imposing tariffs on China.
The spat between Qualcomm and Apple is showing signs of becoming the new Apple Vs Samsung – a falling out that kept lawyers busy for many years. We’ll keep our eyes on this moving forward. Who knows how it will end up.
You may also like to check out:
- How To Downgrade iOS 12.1.1 To iOS 12.1
- Download iOS 12.1.2 Beta 1 IPSW Links And OTA Update And watchOS 5.1.3 Beta 1
- Download iOS 12.1.1 Final IPSW Links And OTA Update For iPhone And iPad
- iOS 12.1.1 Final Changes, Release Notes And Features: Here’s What Is New
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1.1: Apple Details Ian Beer Jailbreak Exploit Patched In Latest Firmware
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1 / iOS 12 Update: Sandbox Escape Released To Public
- Jailbreak iOS 12.1.1 / 12.0.1 / 12 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- iPhone XS, XS Max Data & WiFi Connectivity Issue After iOS 12.1.1 Update Being Reported By Some Users, Are You Affected?
You can follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle on Google+ or like our Facebook page to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Microsoft, Google, Apple, and the Web.