We told you earlier about the KRACK WiFi vulnerability impacting the WPA2 encryption used by the majority of access points and routers around the world, and thankfully, Apple has already confirmed that it has a fix for its own iOS and Mac devices.
That fix is built into the latest version of both iOS and macOS beta releases and the final release will be made available to the public in due course.
The KRACK vulnerability was only just made public but it has the potential to give someone access to your network traffic even when connected to a seemingly secure network. With Android and Linux most impacted by the vulnerability but other platforms also at risk, Apple confirmed to iMore‘s Rene Ritchie that a fix is not only in the works, but is already in the hands of beta testers across both its mobile and desktop beta programs. Once the updated versions of iOS and macOS have been installed, the vulnerability will be dealt with.
While this takes care of Apple’s smartphones, tablets, and computers, there will still be a huge number of devices out there that are vulnerable. The use of the HTTPS protocol does go some way to alleviating the issue because traffic to the destinations will remain encrypted, however any traffic that relies solely on the WiFi router or access point to provide encryption via WPA2 will be at risk.
While we wait for the updated software from Apple, and indeed the likes of Google and others as well, the best course of action is to use a VPN to ensure everything remains encrypted, regardless of the security of whatever encryption is used by the device you are connecting to wirelessly.
(Source: Rene Ritchie [Twitter])
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.1 Beta 3 Changes, Release Notes, Changelog: What’s New?
- PS4 5.0 Jailbreak Exploit Discovered By Luca Todesco
- Download: iOS 11.1 Beta 3 IPSW Links Released For Testing
- Ultimate IPTV Kodi Addon 2017 Download: Here’s How To Install It
- Facebook++ iOS 11 IPA Download On iPhone [No Jailbreak Required]
- How To Downgrade iOS 11.0.3 / 11 To iOS 10.3.3 / iOS 10 [Tutorial]
- Download iOS 11, 11.0.3, 11.1 Links & Install On iPhone 8, 7 Plus, 6s, 6, SE, 5s, iPad, iPod [Tutorial]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.0.3 / 11.0.2 / 11.0.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]