Apple will release a new, updated entry-level iPhone along the lines of the existing iPhone SE later this year, according to a new report by DigiTimes Research analyst Luke Lin.
According to the report, the new successor to the iPhone SE will launch in time for Summer of 2018 and include the same kind of glass back found on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. This will allow the same wireless charging capabilities to be included, although there will be no 3D sensing (3D Touch and Face ID) capabilities as found on the iPhone X.
The prediction comes from a source that has previously proven itself to be hit and miss when it comes to getting predictions right. While DigiTimes does have a reasonable track record thanks to its supply chain contacts, DigiTimes Research has been much less accurate in the past, leaving us less than convinced about what Lim claims to be on the horizon for the iPhone SE’s replacement.
For the entry-level sector, Apple is preparing a new inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE for 2018, featuring the wireless charging functionality, but not 3D sensing. The smartphone will begin mass production in the second quarter with the official launch in May or June, Lin noted.
Still, the inclusion of wireless charging but not 3D Touch and Face ID, does make sense given the price point, so we will stop short of debunking the claim just yet.
Apple has not refreshed the iPhone SE since it was originally launched back in March of 2016, so it is overdue an update. Rumors of that happening this year have already circulated, and an update does look increasingly likely for 2018. Quite what that update will look like, and what features it will possess, remains to be seen however.
You may also like to check out:
- Enable iPhone FaceTime App In UAE / Dubai Without Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Kodi Web Interface Not Working? Here’s How To Enable It The Right Way
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak Update: iOS 11.2.1 Kernel Exploit Which Might Lead To A Jailbreak Will Be Released
- Download iOS 11.3 Beta 1 IPSW Links, OTA Update Featuring New Animoji, iMessage Business, More
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To 11.1.2 For Jailbreak Purposes, Is It Possible?
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]