Dark modes inside apps are all the rage right now, and so they should be. Dark interfaces not only look absolutely gorgeous, but with OLED displays being used in flagship smartphones from all the big companies, including Apple, there are genuine battery life savings to be had as well.
Unfortunately, despite there being plenty of rumors to the contrary, Apple did not add a real dark mode to iOS 11 – instead opting for a “Smart Invert” option, but that does not mean all is lost. If you’re jailbroken, there’s a new tweak that should do the trick just fine.
Created by developer Guillermo Morán, Eclipse X is not yet available as a full release but ahead of its arrival on Cydia, Morán has made it available as a developer preview. The download is free via his website, although donations can be made and any of those that are $0.99 or more will receive the final extension for free once it is feature-complete and fully available. While we have seen images showing that Eclipse X does indeed work, the developer himself does urge caution, reminding users that this is a preview and that not everything is fully baked in just yet.
The preferences pane doesn’t work due to sandbox limitation on electra.
It is enabled inside all apps. There is no way to disable it (see first point why).
There are no color option. This is a developer preview.
Safari, Mail, and Notes are not yet compatible. Will be fixed in newer builds.
Support for more third party apps is coming soon.
That being said, if you want a full-on black theme and don’t want to go the route of using iOS 11’s built-in color inversion option – an Accessibility feature rather than a real dark mode – then this is a good option for those who are jailbroken. You can download Eclipse X in its current form right now at gmoran.me/eclipse_x.php.
(Top image via: Twitter)
You may also like to check out:
- How To Make iPhone X Battery Percentage Display On Home Screen At All Times
- How To Speed Up Amazon Fire TV Stick [Tips Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.2 Using Electra Might Be Possible, Here’s What You Need To Know
- Download: Pokemon Go 1.59.1 For iOS, 0.89.1 APK For Android Rolling Out
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.2 To iOS 11.2.1 Or 11.1.2: Here’s What You Need To Know
- Download iOS 11.2.2 IPSW Links And OTA For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 / 11.2.5 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]