The wait is finally over. Apple has officially pushed iPhone OS 3.0 to their servers for all existing users of iPhone to download for free. This new firmware 3.0 brings more than 100 new exciting features. The most significant among those are highlighted below:
- Cut, Copy, Paste
- Copy/paste photos
- Undo support
- CalDAV Support
- Voice Memos
- YouTube Login
- Landscape keyboard works in email, notes, and messages.
- Search. You can search calendars, music, notes and email.
- iTunes to allow rental and purchase of movies from the iPhone.
- Enhanced Parental Controls with control over movies, TV shows and apps.
- Tethering. Allows you to share you iPhone internet connection with a PC.
- Update to Safari:
- Faster than ever before!
- Support for HTTP streaming audio and video. Bitrate and data quality adjust to connection speed.
- Autofill allows you to optionally remember usernames and passwords.
- HTML 5 support.
- Find My iPhone Service.
- iPhone OS 3.0 will fully support 30 languages.
- Push Notifications
- Books for the App Store.
- Voice Control
- New Accessibility Settings with VoiceOver.
- Built-in support for Nike+
- Shake to Shuffle
You can download & then install the new OS by clicking on “check for update” button right from the iTunes software. Make sure you have the latest iTunes 8.2 installed in order to upgrade the OS to 3.0.
UPDATE: Alternatively you can use the following official direct links to download the new iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G: