Apple has issued an internal note to its army of Apple Authorized Service Providers informing them that 16GB iPhone 5c models in need of “whole unit service” can be replaced with a 32GB model for the foreseeable future.
The new internal directive has been shared with those providers in the form an internal memo to let them know that they are immediately authorized to replace some 16GB iPhone 5c models with upgraded larger capacity versions where necessary.
The brief note doesn’t seem to give any additional details on why this process has been put in place or why some lucky consumers are being given a 32GB option, but we’re sure they aren’t going to complain. Typically speaking, a change like this is down to limited inventory of the lower-end models. Even the internal note sent to the Apple Authorized Service Providers doesn’t give much information away, as evidenced below. However, it’s highly like that those providers have been given additional instructions that haven’t been made available to the public about which devices qualify for the upgraded replacement:
Orders for whole unit service inventory of iPhone 5c (16GB) models may be substituted to iPhone 5c (32GB) models until further notice.
Before everyone starts getting exciting and taking their bashed 16GB iPhone 5c models in for replacement, it’s not all replacements which are benefitting from this upgraded experience. It seems to be certain issues that are warranting the replacement, including this which require a unit to be taken out of the whole unit service inventory. We can only presume that stock levels are running low, resulting in this replacement strategy being put in place by Apple.
Those with a working knowledge of Apple and its current iPhone range will know that iPhone 5c is no longer available for sale in any configuration. The device was initially introduced in September 2013 and subsequently pulled from the market a year later, although it was still offered as an entry-level 8GB option in India for a further twelve months.
It is now fully discontinued in all countries in favor of the 4-inch iPhone SE, meaning that if you can get a brand new 32GB replacement then you are onto a winner.
You may also like to check out:
- iOS 11.2.5 Jailbreak: Adam Donenfeld’s iOS 11.2.2 Vulnerability Could Result In A New Liberation Tool
- Download: Pokemon Go 1.61.1 For iOS, 0.91.1 APK For Android Rolling Out
- iOS 11.2.6 Download Might Be Released To Fix iPhone X Call Delay Issue As Apple Confirms Investigation
- Download iOS 11.2.5 Final IPSW Links, OTA Update For Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Downgrade iOS 11.2.5 To iOS 11.2.2 For Potential Future Jailbreak, Here’s How
- Jailbreak iOS 11.2.5 / 11.2.2 / 11.2.1 On iPhone And iPad [Status Update]
- Jailbreak iOS 11 / 11.1.2 On iPhone X, 8, 7, iPad Using LiberiOS [Updated]